5 June 2017 by Administrator
The following Questions and Answers are related to Unmanned Aircraft System (‘UAS’)/Drones.
1. What is unmanned aircraft system (‘UAS’)/drones?
Unmanned aircraft system means an aircraft and its associated elements which are operated with no pilot on board
2. Categories of UAS
(a) small unmanned aircraft system
• unmanned aircraft system, other than a balloon or a kite, having a mass of not more than 20 kilogrammes without its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight
(b) small unmanned surveillance aircraft
• a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition
(c) unmanned aircraft system of more than 20kg
3. Where I can’t fly the UAS (applies to all type of UAS)
• in Class A, B, C or G airspace
• within an aerodrome traffic zone
• at the height of more than 400 feet above the surface of the earth
UNLESS obtain an authorization from the Chief Executive Officer
4. Can I fly the unmanned aircraft system for aerial work purposes?
• authorization from the Chief Executive Officer is required to be obtained in order to fly a UAS for purpose of aerial work.
• aerial work means an aircraft operation in which an aircraft is used to provide specialized services in agriculture, construction, photography, surveying, observation and patrol, search and rescue, aerial advertisement and other similar activities
5. I want to fly a small unmanned surveillance aircraft. Do I need authorisation?
authorization from the Chief Executive Officer is required to be obtained to fly a small unmanned surveillance aircraft in any of the following circumstances:
(a) over any designated area
= means any area which is used for residential, commercial, industrial or recreational purposes
(b) within 150 metres of any designated area
(c) over any assembly in the open air of more than 1,000 persons
(d) within 150 metres of any assembly in the open air of more than 1,000 persons
(e) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft
(f) within 50 metres of any person
(g) within 30 metres of any person during take-off or landing
6. I want to fly the unmanned aircraft system of more than 20kg. Do I need authorisation?
Authorization from the Chief Executive Officer is required to be obtained
7. How to apply for an authorisation?
8. Can I drop or permit any article or animal from UAS?
The person in charge of the UAS shall not cause or permit any article or animal whether or not attached a parachute to be dropped from UAS
9. Do I need to register the unmanned aircraft system?
10. How much is the fee?
• Application for authorization to fly
– Unmanned aircraft system of more than 20kg – RM1000
– Small unmanned surveillance aircraft – RM250
Kindly submit the application with all related documents to CAAM within 14 working days before date of flight. Application submitted less than 14 days will be rejected and incomplete application will not be processed.