Multi-Crew Pilot Licence
The Multi-Crew Pilot Licence (MPL) was introduced in 2006 by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) as an airline-specific alternative to the more traditional cadet route – the Airline Pilot Transport License (ATPL). The MPL program is carried out in close cooperation with an airline – it is specifically tailored to the airline requirements and needs by integrating the airline’s procedures from day 1 of training. Although MPL standards are similar to those of traditional licences, with specified requirements for skill, knowledge, age, medical fitness and experience, there are some important differences.
A Multi-Crew Pilot Licence (MPL) allows you to fly as a Pilot-In-Command (PIC) or co-pilot of a Malaysian-registered aircraft for the aircraft types as endorsed in the licence. You may also fly as a co-pilot for the purpose of commercial air transport.
To obtain a MPL, you must
- be at least 18 years old;
- be able to read, write and communicate in English at a working level; and
- meet the Class 1 medical requirements.
- possess one of the following:
- passed the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) or equivalent qualifications with credits in five subjects including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject in one single type of examination; or
- attained a degree recognised by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) 3.0 or above and he has passed the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) or equivalent qualifications with credits in English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject.
In addition, you will need to complete a training programme with a CAAM-Approved Training Organisation (FTO) to acquire theoretical knowledge and practical experience. You must also pass the theoretical knowledge examinations and skill test conducted at the ATO and meet all regulatory licensing requirements.
More detailed requirements can be found in Chapter 5 of CAGM 1001 – Flight Crew Licensing (FCL). Refer to Multi-Crew Pilot Licence Initial Application & Renewal for quick guidance.