The Air Navigation Service Training Division (ANSTD) was established on July 1, 2022, following the restructuring of the Air Traffic Management Division (ATMD). ANTSD is divided into two (2) main units: Planning Unit; and Examination and Documentation Unit. The ANSTD is a completely new division, in contrast to other divisions that were established as a result of the restructuring or amalgamation of a number of prior units in ATMD.
The division is responsible for the planning and management of ATC and non-ATC trainings and examinations for all Air Navigation Services Division (ANSD) officers as applicable to the requirements and standard procedures pertaining to their job scope. Planning and management are necessary not only for the delivery of air traffic services but also for air traffic management, the growth of human capacity, and ensuring that tasks are carried out effectively and routinely while adhering to all specifications as stated in the Civil Aviation Directives (CAD), Civil Aviation Guidance Materials (CAGM), Air Navigation Services Policy Manuals (ASNPM) and related documents.
- Establish training policies and ensure that they are always updated and complied with by the Air Traffic Service Units (ATSUs).
- Ensure that all ATSUs establish the Air Navigation Services Internal Manual (ANSIM) – ATSU Training Manual and that it is regularly updated and complied with.
- Ensure the Air Traffic Controller’s examination and training are accurately recorded and effectively managed with integrity.
- Ensure annual budget planning for training and examination programmes for the entire ANSD is sufficient and cost-effective.
Planning Unit Function
- Develop and maintain the Air Navigation Services Policy Manual 3 – Training Policy Manual (ANSPM 3 – TPM) in accordance with the most recent CADs, CAGMs and related documents.
- Plan training programmes and develop a training calendar for the whole ANSD periodically, every June and November of each year.
- Plan the annual budget and monitor expenses for the ANSTD, including training for all ANSD personnel conducted locally and abroad.
- Coordinate with the respective divisions in ANSD and ATSUs for the release of personnel to participate in the training as planned.
- Coordinate with external agencies for the execution of training courses.
- Monitor the execution of training in accordance with the approved training calendar, ensuring it is in compliance with relevant administrative and finance circulars in force.
- Ensure the submission of reports by participants and monitor the overall expenditure related to training costs.
Examination and Documentation Unit Functions
- Ensure the administration of examinations related to ATC personnel licencing at all ATSUs complies with the regulations and procedures in CADs, CAGM, ANSPM, and other related documents.
- Review and verify the ANSIM – ATSU Training Manual and ATSU Examination Question Bank prepared by the ATSUs to ensure compliance with the regulations and procedures in CADs, CAGM, ANSPM and other related documents.
- Review and verify the training and examination documents for ATC licensing provided by the ATSUs to ensure compliance with the regulations and procedures in CADs, CAGM, ANSPM and other related documents.
- Ensure records of air traffic controller examinations and training courses are efficiently and accurately recorded in the database.
- Plan and conduct Air Traffic Control Examiner (ATCE), On-the-Job Instructor (OJTI) and English Language Proficiency (ELP) Raters courses in compliance with the regulations and procedures in CADs, CAGM, ANSPM and other related documents.
- Verify the nomination of ATCE, OJTI and ELP Raters for appointment by the Authority.